Quoting sunshine.k.buch...@kp.org:

> Charlene Charette wrote:
> And the last couple of copies I've found were in the US$2000+ range.

OK, I know it's a good book.

Is it really *that* good a book? Is there that much in there that isn't
anywhere else?

No, imo it's not worth $2000. However, I'm very happy with the $200 I
spent on my copy (years ago, now...) It does go though a number of Italian
inventories circa 1480 (assuming my memory is correct, I don't have my
copy to-hand at the moment) which I haven't seen discussed elsewhere in
English. IMO it's a really good complement to Bernini's _Dress in Italian
Painting_ which analyzes circa 1460-80s art with an eye construction;
_Renaissance Dress in Italy_ analyzes what was worn by comparing art to
inventories. The name _Renaissance Dress in Italy_ is a bit broader then
what it covers - it doesn't spend much time on Venetian fashions, and
mostly talks about pre-1500 styles. I do like the picture-time it gives to
the early 1400s styles and the transition from houpelandes to the more
classic "Italian Renaissance" styles.

That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth :-)

nods. Much better analysis than mine! I do have to say, that I've never been impressed with Birbari (you've got it listed as "Bernini") which IMO is very limited in scope. When I can find a copy of Herald that I can afford, I will own one.

Susan
-----
Susan Farmer
sfar...@goldsword.com