From: "Lynn Downward" <lynndownw...@gmail.com>
Sent 1/14/2010 9:08:18 PM
To: "Historical Costume" <h-cost...@indra.com>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] 1920s Men's bathing suit patternI've seen one too, in San
Francisco. It was one that was rented at
Sutro Baths, the large pool near Ocean Beach from the 1870s until the
1920s, I believe. There were several separate pools in the complex
overlooking Seal Rock and  men could rent a heavy swim suit for the
day. I have no idea how they cleaned them. Yick.
At any rate, the one I saw was heavy as AlbertCat said, heavy like a
sweater. It weighed, dry, about the same as a heavy winter sweater. I
can't imagine how heavy they were wet, but there are photographs of
swarms of men in identical swimsuits on the edge of the pools. The one
I saw also had the woven cotton underwear sewn into the bottom.
LynnD