In a message dated 1/15/2010 6:17:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pi...@hundred-acre-wood.com writes:

Kermes  is a related insect to the cochineal bug--it gives that lovely deep
pure  red. Fustic is the heartwood of one of the trees in the Mulberry
family,  and it produces yellows and oranges. You could, in theory, use
kermes with  fustic but I think unless you had a very large concentration
of fustic in  relation to the concentration of kermes you'd get orange
rather than "yolk  yellow".

Yes, kermes is native to the Old World and so was used for that deep blue
red before cochineal was discovered. It was often used for the reds in
carpets, so think of that color.  One seldom, if ever, actually combined  dyes
in a bath, but rather dyed first with one, then the other.  I'm not  sure if
over-dyeing fustic with even a weak concentration of kermes would give
"yolk yellow."  I agree that orange would be much more likely.

Ann Wass