I'm pretty sure that their velvet is either rayon or silk and rayon.  I checked
last year.  But it may have changed since then.  You never know.

Ginni

>>> Sharon Collier <sha...@collierfam.com> 1/19/10 2:09 PM >>>
Another place you all might try is Dharma Trading in Berkley, CA. I know
they sell white silk and velvet for dyeing (as that is their main thing)

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Marjorie Wilser
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:38 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] where has all the velvet gone? (rant)

Dawn,

Joann's and Hancock are not exactly known for quality merchandise, and I
have no idea about Hobby Lobby. Its name suggests not much.

I'd go online to look. The last cotton velvet I found was (improbably) at
Wal-Mart in the 1990s. I bought all I could in 3 colors. it's still ripening
for a project ;)

     == Marjorie Wilser (who doesn't shop Wal-Mart any more)

=:=:=:Three Toad Press:=:=:=

"Learn to laugh at yourself and you will never lack for amusement." --MW

http://3toad.blogspot.com/

On Jan 18, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Dawn wrote:

> I had a most disappointing shopping trip today. I was searching for a
> nice blue-green cotton velvet and was surprised at the lack of
> options. I went to Hancock's first, they had NO fashion velvet of any
> kind. They had 3 rolls of upholstery velvet, nice stuff, in black,
> brown and red.
>
> Hobby Lobby had no upholstery velvet, and cheap acrylic fashion velvet
> in black, navy and red. I found some medium turquoise on the clearance
> rack and bought that. It might work, and it was cheap enough.
>
> Joann's had the requisite cheap acrylic velvet in red and black, and
> no upholstery velvet. Lots of chenille, no velvet.
>
> So what is it with velvet these days? The acrylic stuff just gets
> crappier and crappier and I can't find simple cotton anywhere.
>

> Dawn

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of
the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure
is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.