Just judged a history event last weekend, and I'm surprised that students
no longer seem to know about print sources. Could she get some of what she
needs from them?  Examples--Time-Life Books did a series a while ago about
life in different decades, and I would be surprised if they weren't in your
public library.  And, if you are anywhere near a large city public library
or university/college library, you should be able to access original
magazines and newspapers on microfilm. Most university/college libraries allow
access for library use only.

Teachers encourage them to find everything on the web. The assignment is created on the laptop provided by the school, submitted electronically, etc. If they were to use a book source, they would have to find a scanner to capture the image, save the file, etc. before using it in their assignment. You know how all that extra "clicking" with the mouse can wear a person out... :-/

As for the public library, I'd be surprised if they *were* there - even in the larger public library in the university town. Public libraries spend very little of their budget on non-fiction these days. Computers, computer programs, computer upkeep, and dvd titles take up much of the budget after popular fiction and children's books.

Denise B