> I know a number of us have contacted museums for private behind the
> scenes visits in pursuit of our historic costume research. I also know
> some of us work at museums, with costume collections.
>
> At the request of the Center for the Future of Museums, I wrote a blog
> post about my experiences visiting the Smithsonian's costume
> collection, with suggestions on how dedicated amateur scholars and
> museums might work together. I'd love to get your comments, as would
> the CFM, as helping the public use museums is what they do:
>
> http://futureofmuseums.blogspot.com/2010/11/mining-myculture-serving-community-of.html
>
> Please feel free to forward around!
>
> Allison T.

I think the response you got from the Smithsonian was awesome.  I'm surprised
they alotted staff time for a non-professional.

I have a couple of things I'd suggest for museums to help costumers.

One would be to know what they have and accurately and fully describe it.  I
see a lot of errors describing knit vs. crochet vs. other techniques.

Then I think one of the most useful things a museum could do would be lots of
photos and get some darned closeups.  The pictures I looked at on the from the
link you posted for the Smithsonian didn't have anything that wasn't full
length - no details at all.  OTOH, some pictures I've seen from the V&A get so
close I could chart the knit or beaded designs.  I really appreciate that kind
of information online since it's unlikely I'll ever get to go to the museum.
Julie in Ramona