On Nov 28, 2010, at 10:30 AM, albert...@aol.com wrote:

Of course, what is this fabric we call "denim"? A heavy-ish cotton twill dyed indigo. It seems quite logical that an old and common weave used with a old and common dye would come up sooner than later.

True.

I think the other major distinguishing characteristic of what we call "denim" is that it has colored threads in one direction and white threads in the other. Offhand I don't know which is warp and which is weft, though. Anyone?

And of course paintings can't tell us what fibers were used for this very jeans-like material. The fabric in the paintings could well have been either linen (which takes indigo dye pretty well) or wool (which you'd expect for outer garments). Although cotton certainly existed and was used (especially in Italy) I'd want to find out more about _how_ cotton was used before I'd conclude that this is identical to modern denim. Cotton thread strong enough to use for weaving is a different thing than cotton batting used for stuffing (for which I think we have better pre-1800s documentation).

O    Chris Laning <clan...@igc.org> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com