There should be no reason why you can't do a separate lining and insert it into
the dress, blind stitching around the ends of the sleeves and the neck, and
doing a separate hem for the skirt.  However, if you do this, you need to
remember to do the sleeves separately and then hand stitch the armhole of the
main dress lining and the sleeve top lining together and to the outer dress at
the armscye seam.  I suppose you could sew everything together first and then
do tacking stitches to hold the sleeve head together, but I personally think
the other method is easier.

Ginni Morgan

>>> Franchesca <franchesca.ha...@gmail.com> 4/18/11 3:41 PM >>>
Thank you Robin!

You are correct about the fit, they belonged to a bustier lady than I. I
will put them on and lay down to see where to alter them. Or is there a
better way to alter them?

I wondered about lining them but the seams are all serged.

Franchesca