When I taught history of costume, many years ago, I remember reading the
occasional reference to a white wedding dress for a royal/noble bride,
supposedly because it was difficult to bleach silk to a pure white color--hence

it was expensive and conferred status.

Let us also remember that white was very popular for both day and evening
wear during the early 19th century, so a bride's white dress might indeed be
one  she continued to wear long past the wedding.

Even after Victoria, brides in the mid- to late- 19th century often chose
colors, and, of course, in the 20th century, there were many instances of
brides (often war brides) wearing colored suits to be married in.

So saying so and so started a trend might be over-simplifying, but what
does one expect from a newspaper article?

Ann Wass

In a message dated 5/10/2011 4:53:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,