Here's a link to the Past Patterns Sacque and petticoat:

http://www.pastpatterns.com/808.html

The Pattern has some good historical notes, I can't find my copy but
you could email Saundra for a copy.

Katy

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM, WorkroomButtons.com
<westvillagedrap...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Back at the Reed Homestead... we are moving on to the next pile -- stacks and
> stacks of shirt-like garments with no closures (other than a few with ties at
> the neck).
>
> We hired a woman in 1995 to start pulling clothing literally out of garbage
> bags and start cataloging. (Sadly, we still have pieces from 1809 still in
> garbage bags -- yes, the black plastic kind.)  She called these shirt-like
> garments "sacques" and this is want she wrote about them...
>
> "...I would like someone after me to write the word "sacque" which is what
> we're going to use for the generic term.  A sacque is a garment which hangs
> from the shoulder down without interruption, without darts, without a waist
> seam, so a man's sacque coat is one that was not cut in at the waist.  And
> that seems to be a generic form for this style if garment, no matter how it's
> being used, but as I said before and you got on the VCR I think, these can be
> used as a working garment with a skirt, held in place with an apron.  They
> can be used as a short nightgown for hot weather and when somebody is ill and
> is using a bedpan.  They can be used over your dress when you're doing your
> hair and that's probably about it.  Oh, yes, and the other thing is for
> maternity, when it's an expandable top for when you're pregnant and obviously
> can be used for nursing as well.  And nobody has as many as you have."
>
> We have attempted to locate information about this type of garment, but
> clearly we're looking in the wrong places because we're coming up empty. We
> can find "saques" certainly but they don't look like ours.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Dede O'Hair

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
katybisho...@gmail.com                www.VintageVictorian.com
     Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
      Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.