These are similar, they have a metal backing--but are a bit thinker seeming
than I remember getting, I like the type you're describing too:

http://www.dreamtimecreations.com/product/8682/sew-on-rhinestones-in-settings-crystal-round-ss16-380-400-mm-foiled/?gclid=CJHHw-CzmbACFQjf4AodYl0ZWw

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Lynn Downward <lynndownw...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Wow, those embellishments weren't even on my radar. They're lovely.
>
> Unfortunately, no. These look like costume pieces when you get up
> close. The sew-ons I'm talking about had a metal base with grooves
> formed into the back making an 'x' through which you sewed the rhinestone
> onto the fabric. This base wrapped around the glass 'stone.' They looked
> really, really good, very much like the pronged ones do - without the
> backing forcing itself through the fabric. I haven't seen them in years. I
> had a costume with hundreds sewn to it (it cost a fortune and weighed a
> ton) and am now planning to take them all off to reuse elsewhere. I bought
> them at Berger's Beads or Bohemian Beads in downtown Los Angeles probably
> 30 years ago - they had millions - and haven't seen them since.
> LynnD
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM, <lauren.wal...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > Whilst I am playing the busybody, are these the sew-on rhinestones you
> > seek?
> >
> > http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?skw=Swarovski-Sew-On

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
katybisho...@gmail.com                www.VintageVictorian.com
     Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
      Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.