I'm still using my Singer Golden Touch n Sew from 1962.  Just had it serviced.
It has sewn everything from Vogue wedding dresses to historical to my heavy
canvas SCA pavilion.  Haven't got a clue where to start looking for a new
machine and probably won't ever get one.

Ginni

>>> <annbw...@aol.com> 8/15/12 9:37 AM >>>
To continue on Singers, I used a mid-1970s model until 2000, when I got my
Bernina, mainly because said Singer has a free arm. I still have it, but it
just doesn't form a satisfactory stitch anymore, and I even sent it out for
factory service for this problem. It stitches, but the tension isn't balanced
correctly, and nothing seems to help.

OTOH, a cousin of mine used one of the old all-metal workhorse models for
years. Not sure if she still has it.

Right now, I'm using my 1973 Kenmore (all metal, except the buttonhole
attachment is plastic) because my Bernina had to go out for repair. The Kenmore
is doing fine, but it doesn't have a free arm.

I still have my mom's White Rotary, too, that she bought used in the 1930s, but
I destroyed the plug a while ago and haven't had it replaced yet. It probably
still sews like a dream, though, but only straight stitching, of course.

Ann Wass