I am researching Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton. Supposedly, the habit of the order
she founded originated in her widow's dress. She was widowed in 1804 while she
was in Italy. Here is a link to a portrait that was supposed to have been
painted then, although I have my doubts.

http://catholicgene.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/st-elizabeth-ann-seton-1804-portrait.jpg?w=417&h=529

Of course I can accept her wearing black, but that headgear doesn't look like
anything I've seen from images at that time. So my question is, could it have
been something distinctly Italian? Or does anyone know of images of anything
similar from elsewhere?

Thanks.

Ann Wass