Once more playing devil's advocate here. I know that, through the lens of
hindsight, we are dismayed that people took 18th century gowns and altered them
to wear in 1876, for example. But you know, this kind of re-use is what might
have gotten them saved at all. Cleaning out the attic--who needs this old thing
anymore? Oh, don't throw it out, it would be perfect for the centennial ball
this summer!

So don't judge too harshly.

But I will add--we have a local vintage clothing dealer who has come to me with
two dresses that she knows are worth saving. One is from the early 19th
century--it has been mucked with some, but not too badly; and one is probably
mid-19th century.  She rescued them but won't sell them in her shop.

Ann Wass