The dress you describe in the photo sounds like Fancy Dress costume.  I
have a great picture of my Great Grandfather and his daughter in
historically inspired fancy dress, ca. 1900 or so. They lived in Vienna,
Austria. I am waiting for the right vintage ball to copy their outfits.

Katy

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Cathy Raitt <cbellfl...@aol.com> wrote:

> Fran,
> Thanks!  The ceremony took place at 11:30 in the morning on June 1, but
> I'm sure she would have had occasion to need evening dresses - they spent
> the next few days at the White Sulphur (still a very high-class place!) and
> then on to New York before a honeymoon in England.
>
> If she was wearing "long white gloves" wouldn't that indicate that the
> dress had short sleeves?
>

>  We have undated pictures of her in a light-colored gown with a square
> neck that appears to be trimmed in ermine.  She's wearing a crown.  Someone
> suggested that might be her wedding gown, but I don't think so, especially
> after reading this letter.
>
> Cathy

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
katybisho...@gmail.com                www.VintageVictorian.com
     Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
      Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.