To: <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 2:54 AM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Who's still here? & smock question

You mean the farmer's big overshirt, right? (I ask because "smock" was also used as a term for a woman's shift or chemise, at least in parts of England. Read about smock races sometime.) Do you have the Shire album on the subject? Also try "Dress of the People." I suspect the answer to your question, though, is probably not, but next to impossible to ferret out. If women did, they were probably rural residents doing hard work on farms, and, unless there is a stray traveler's account somewhere, unlikely to be recorded.

Ann Wass