There are heaps of patterns and guides already, it's just many books are
now OOP. Waugh did her (nicely sized) book some time ago, and same with the
Danish National Museum (some of which are online as pdfs- and there are a
range of garments tidenstoj*- but I understand the books are really huge-
or maybe I'm thinking of a Swedish series of books? I know there are many
European books not in English anyway) and Blanche Payne. The Tailor's
manuals all focus on men's gear and women usually are listed after the
clergy and horses. Even two of Arnold's books has men's garments (and there
are more male garments than female in the 3rd book.

Anyway, women's extant garments tend to be a lot bigger, so when you are
talking a rigid torso and pleated and draped skirts that's incredibly
difficult to carefully explore without damage. And so much damage happened
to women's dress especially in the 19thC that they often need more
restoration. That is if they survive. During periods of heavy fabrics and
patterns skirts became very handy to recyle in to church vestments or to
redress effigy/figures. The garments LACMA started with are ideal as they
can be carefully laid quite flat- and they can also confirm the shapes seen
in the tailor manuals at the time.

so for those who want more patterns:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Minister+and+co%2C++ltd%22
3X copies of "Gazette of fashion, and cutting-room companion" 1860s

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22edward+minister+and+son%22
4x copies of Gazette of fashion. 1870s-1881

All seven books focus on mens' garments.

http://costumes.org/wiki/index.php/History100pages1893to1898cuttersguide or
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Cutters_Practical_Guide

Part 1, 1898 edition, The Cutter's Practical Guide to Cutting Every Kind of
Garment Made, in a series of parts, Part One. Young Men's, Youths' and
Juvenile Garments, Embracing also Treatise on Trousers, Vests, Military
Garments, Liveries, etc., etc., etc.
Part 2, 1893 edition, The Cutter's Practical Guide to Cutting every type of
Garment made by Tailors, With detailed instructions as to their production,
Part II, Body Coats of every description, embracing Morning, Frock and
Dress Coats, Livery, Clerical, Naval, Military, Police and other Special
Garments
The Cutter's Practical Guide to the Cutting & Making all Kinds of Trousers,
Breeches, & Knickers, to which is added chapters dealing with the cutting &
making of Highland kilts, leggings, gaiters, etc. in Gallery View, [Scans
by Pat Lamprey of the Lakewood Library]
Part 4. date unknown, Livery Garments in all their varieties, including
coats, vests, trousers, breeches and gaiters as worn by livery servants
[Scans by Pat Lamprey of the Lakewood Library]
Part 9,1898 edition, The Cutter's Practical Guide to Jacket Cutting and
Making, Embracing Lounges, Reefers & Patrol Jackets, in all their
Varieties, Also Including the Cutting and Making of Robes and Gowns, Being
Part IX of The Cutter's Practical Guide to the Cutting and Making of all
Kinds of Garments
Part 10: (edition date unknown)
The Cutter's Practical Guide to Cutting & Making all kinds of Waistcoats
for Gentlemen, Ladies, Military & Naval Officers, Livery Servants, etc.,
etc. in Gallery View, [Scans by Pat Lamprey of the Lakewood Library]
Part 11 . date unknown, Shirts, Undergarments, Collars, Cuffs, Aprons, and
Specialty Clothing for Various Occupations [Scans by Pat Lamprey of the
Lakewood Library]
Part 12 (Date Unknown) The Cutter's Practical Guide to Cutting & Making all
kinds of Clerical Dress [Scans by Pat Lamprey of the Lakewood Library,
includes also British Legal and Academic robes]
Part 13 (Date Unknown) The Cutter's Practical Guide to Cutting & Making all
kinds of British Military Uniforms [Scans by Pat Lamprey of the Lakewood
Library, includes also British Legal and Academic robes]

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=UulhAAAAcAAJ&dq
L'Art du tailleur. The Tailor's Guide; a complete system of cutting every
kind of garment to measure, etc. 2 vol
Charles Compaing, Louis Devere
Simpkin, Marshall&Company, 1855 - 128 pages

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=TSNhAAAAcAAJ&dq
The Art of Cutting Breeches ... Fourth Edition
Front Cover
George WALKER (Tailor.)

There is a huge resource out there, it's just that those of us going out
and looking are probably looking for our areas of focus. So I've had most
of these links for ages but I don't use them so I don't talk about them.

It looks like project Gutenburg has been absorbed totally but the Internet
Archive but:
https://archive.org/
I do random searches for specific garments and tailoring terms.

Ditto for Google Books:
https://books.google.com/bkshp?hl

*http://natmus.dk/historisk-viden/temaer/modens-historie/
(all links are nicely red and underlined, and the patterns are located at
the bottom of each garment page, to the right under a large block of grey-
atm.

Anyway, that's as much time as I have, but they are out there already, and
are really well covered in the V&A books- mainly surface details and cape
layouts.

Regards,

--
http://arrayedindreams.com