From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Lavolta Press
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2016 9:52 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Curtains for old houses--a fabric

BTW, I wanted curtain fabric by the yard because this house has six basic
sizes of windows, plus a few outliers, and the architect had no problem with
putting two or three sizes, shapes, and placements of windows in one room. I
ended up buying lace drapes from all four of the historic lace drape sellers
I mentioned, plus a heap of unused Quaker lace drapes from eBay.  But, back
when I was searching for an all-natural fabric that would give me a uniform
look on the sheer drapes, I bought some of this from the Etsy seller
FabricTreasury:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/123909862/sheer-cotton-curtain-fabric-unbleache
d?ref=shop_home_feat_2

This is a very thin, good-quality, 100% cotton muslin suitable for a variety
of historic dresses. The seller has several other woven patterns of it and
as she points out, it can be dyed. I tested shrinkage and it shrinks a lot,
so thorough preshrinking is essential.  It's the kind of fabric you could
pull through a wedding ring and it will be a pain to sew.  I decided on hand
sewing as being overall less trouble than machine sewing over tissue paper.
Then decided not to use this fabric right now because I already have to sew
all the outer drapes; the seller took all their window coverings.  Maybe
I'll use it for sheer drape replacements. Anyway it's nice fabric at a good
price.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com