On Aug 31, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Frédéric Bertin wrote:

Doug Cutting wrote:
Frédéric Bertin wrote:
            *// Set the user's name and working directory*
            String user = System.getProperty("user.name");
            job.setUser(user != null ? user : "Dr Who");
            if (job.getWorkingDirectory() == null) {
job.setWorkingDirectory(fs.getWorkingDirectory ()); }

This should run clientside, since it depends on the username, which is different on the server.
then, what about passing the username as a parameter to the JobSubmissionProtocol.submitJob(...) ? This avoids loading the whole JobConf clientside just to set the username.

I don't understand what the problem is. The user sets up their job by creating a JobConf(). Do you already have the job.xml in dfs and just want to resubmit it? I don't think that will ever be the typical case. I thought the original topic of this thread was the jar file.

-- Owen