A good way to implement failover is to make the Namenode log transactions to
more than one directory, typically a local directory and a NFS mounted
directory. The Namenode writes transactions to both directories
synchronously.

If the Namenode machine dies, copy the fsimage and fsiedits from the NFS
server and you will have recovered *all* committed transactions.

The SecondaryNamenode pulls the fsimage and fsedits once every configured
period, typically ranging from a few minutes to an hour. If you use the
image from the SecondaryNamenode, you might lose the last few minutes of
transactions.

Thanks
dhruba