They are indeed quite similar but do have some significant differences. Some
of the commands take different arguments and there are different commands run
in each.

If HBase were a part of hadoop proper instead of a contrib project (like
record io which was moved from contrib into the main hadoop tree), I would
be more inclined to merge the scripts since they would have more in common.

For now, I think keeping them separate is probably the right thing to do.

---
Jim Kellerman