Jason Venner wrote:
On investigating, we discovered that the entirety of the next(key,value) and the entirety of the write( key, value) are synchronized on the file object.

This causes all threads to back up on the serialization/deserialization.

I'm not sure what you want to happen here. If you've got a bunch of threads writing to a single file, and that's your performance bottleneck, I don't see how to improve the situation except to write to multiple files on different drives, or to spread your load across a larger cluster (another way to get more drives).

Doug