of boxes? You could then schedule your long-running low-CPU tasks on one of the
clusters and the short CPU-intensive ones on the others.

Chad

On 12/25/07 2:38 AM, "Joydeep Sen Sarma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

in many cases - long running tasks are of low cpu util. i have trouble
imagining how these can mix well with cpu intensive short/batch tasks. afaik -
hadoop's job scheduling is not resource usage aware. long background tasks
would consume per-machine task slots that would block out other tasks from
using available cpu bandwidth.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chad Walters [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sat 12/22/2007 2:39 PM
To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Appropriate use of Hadoop for non-map/reduce tasks?

I should further say that god functions only on a per machine basis. We have
then built a number of scripts that do auto-configuration of our various
services, using configs pulled from LDAP and code pulled from our package repo.
We use this to configure our various server processes and also to configure
Hadoop clusters (HDFS and Map/Reduce). But god is a key part of the system,
since it helps us provide a uniform interface for starting and stopping all our
services.

Chad