I would say that it is generally better practice to deploy hadoop.jar in the
lib directory of the war file that you are deploying so that you can change
versions of hadoop more easily.

Your problem is that you have dropped the tomcat support classes from your
CLASSPATH in the process of getting hadoop involved.

that works.  Then build up gently back to where you have access to the
hadoop jar.