On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 06:31:49PM +0200, Eli Billauer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've started a small adventure of installing Linux on an old laptop. It
> appears as if some chipset is buggy (82437MX), as it's listed in the
> pci/quirks.c file with a fix.
>
> Reading that quirks file, I see that a kernel message should have been
> generated, but it wasn't. So I wanted to see if that part (module or
> compiled-in) was in the game at all.
>
> I looked for some non-static function in quirks.c, and found
> pci_fixup_devices. So off I went to the laptop which runs this kernel
> and did:
>
> grep fixup /proc/ksyms
>
> and got nothing.
>
> Is there any chance that the function was executed, and the freed, or is
> this a 100% indication that I should try to change my kernel
> configuration, and recompile?
>
> I'm running a 2.4.21 kernel, BTW.

When you speak about such problems, the following would have been handy:

  http://www.it.uc3m.es/~ptb/proconfig/

SuSE have something similar in their default kernels (/proc/config.gz ).
This means that you don't have to guess what was the config your kernel
was compiled with: you [z]cat /proc/config[.gz] .

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+