me and the farm crowd strongly stand behind ubuntu. the 6.06 release takes simple to a whole new level. it has hebrew, a new, much nicer, clearlooks derivative theme, and apt is quite the leader in package management. they;ve also put a frontend on apt simpler than synaptic for people who want to save time. backed by automatix, a script making installation of common non-ubuntu things (like swiftfox, or w32codecs), very simple, and by HebUbuntu which sets up in one stroke most things needed for the israeli crowd, i believe ubuntu will be the simplest most elegent choice.
and please tell me FC5 is nothing like RHEL4.

On 6/11/06, Nadav Har'El <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 06, 2006, Adir Abraham wrote about "[Haifux] Linux Day: Choosing the right distribution":
> Hi,
>
> As usual I'm calling for your help, to choose the right distribution for
> the crowd.

My favorite distribution, and the one I use on my home computer, is Fedora
Core. It comes with (or allows you to install through yum) almost everything
imaginable, including Hebrew support.

But, while yum makes it very easy to install new software and to keep your
system up to date if you have an internet connection,  But,

> The population we aim to is the average person who wants everything to
> work properly, with an easy update/install mechanism, easy installation
> methods (has to be graphical, at least), and with a lot of support
> ("back"). We don't want Linux for a specific purpose, but we want to make

The problem with Fedora is that it is a real pain to upgrade. You need to
get new CD-ROMs, and spend at least a full day on the upgrade process (which
doesn't ask you any questions - just takes a lot of time). It's not hard,
but very far from being fun either. If you choose not to upgrade (say, stay
with Fedora Core 5 even when 6 comes out), after a year you start stop getting
updates from yum.

This is a downside in Fedora that needs to be considered.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Sunday, Jun 11 2006, 15 Sivan 5766