Hmmm...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could it be that the members of this mailing list are slightly inclined towards git?

Well, for good reasons. Since I discovered git, I don't think about editing any file on my own hard disk without setting up a local git repository. It's not a matter of collaboration anymore. It's the freedom to hack without thinking twice, knowing I can undo anything I want. Even if the thing I want to undo was committed a week ago, and a lot of commits have been made since. It's that amazing freedom to tweak your code or configuration file to death, and still nothing breaks.

If we're into using git through emails, git bundle is your friend. In its laziest mode (git bundle create --all) all commits (in the current branch, I believe, I always do this standing on "master") are packed nicely and compressed. Just send the single bundle file through email to the other participants, and they can fetch or pull from that file, as if it was a remote repository. Quick and painless.

I think what we're all trying to say here, is that CVS, SVN or whatever may do the job for you. But if you choose git, you'll have a great bonus for your other future activities.

Have fun,

  Eli

yakoub abaya wrote:

theoretically distributed version control like git doesn't require a centralized repository
i never tested this but you can use email with git-am and git-format-patch

Web: http://www.billauer.co.il