Le 2011-05-19 11:45 +0700, Nguyen Vu Hung (VNC) a écrit :
> >#!/bin/sh
> >[ -n "$1" ] && VERSION="$1" || VERSION="3.4.0"
> Can we rewrite it in python?

Most probably.

> It will be nice feature if the script can detect the late latest
> version of LibO and start downloading.

Even if I love Python, the shell is powerfull enough for that.

> 1. you can you rsync as well.
>    http://download.documentfoundation.org/mirroring.html

Rsync use far more CPU resource, which I don't feel the need for here.

> 2. ftp is better than http in term of error checking

In what process?

Wget manage errors pretty well, using HTTP/1.1 partial download ability
to continue after a network interruption.

FTP is also a more complex protocol than HTTP, which I don't feel the
need for here either.

> 3. TDF won't happy as we are sucking it's main host with wget.
>     I recommend using some .de mirror, which is quite close the TDF
> hosting server.
>    cf. http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.mirrors/226

We are doing a _country wide_ mirror of LibreOffice.

It means that these LibreOffice files, for a total amount of 1,4 GB,
are (idealy) being downloaded only _once_ for (idealy) more than 90
millions people. So we are going to reduce their bandwidth threat up
to 90 millions downloads (idealy).

How come that can be called "sucking" ??

> 4. Stable versions are also available at mirrors,
>     while TDF is the only place where we can get beta versions.

So we _have_ to download from their main site anyway.

> The problems with wget ares
> 1) We cannot checksum, i.e, you have to check manually if the files
> are successfully downloaded.
> 2)  In other words, rsync is more reliable than wget

Well… I never had any download problem (wrong data) while using wget
in the past 15 years, and we are talking about .tar.gz archives, which
have their own internal checksum (gzip as well as tar), containing
.deb/.rpm, which once again have their own internal checksum, so why
should I use more CPU power and network bandwidth (yes, rsync use more
bandwidth when downloading new files) than required for that?

J.C.
--
Jean Christophe ANDRÉ  —  Coordonnateur des infrastructures techniques
Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF)  —   http://www.auf.org/