Hello,

It is due to the plugin and it should be document IMHO (or even fixed,
although not much benefit from it):

haproxy[8258]: Server testback_mysql/localmysql-1 is UP, reason: Layer7
check passed, code: 0, info: "5.6.11-rc60.3", check duration: 0ms. 1
active and 0 backup servers online. 0 sessions requeued, 0 total in queue.

After doing:

mysql>  drop user monitor@localhost;  create user monitor@localhost
identified with 'sha256_password'; flush privileges;

haproxy[8258]: Server testback_mysql/localmysql-1 is DOWN, reason:
Layer7 wrong status, code: 0, info: "Client does not support
authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL
client", check duration: 0ms. 0 active and 0 backup servers left. 0
sessions active, 0 requeued, 0 remaining in queue

Running the latest build with default options:
~/temp/haproxy$ ./haproxy -vv
HA-Proxy version 1.5-dev19 2013/06/17
Copyright 2000-2013 Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu>

Build options :
  TARGET  = linux2628
  CPU     = generic
  CC      = gcc
  CFLAGS  = -O2 -g -fno-strict-aliasing
  OPTIONS =

MySQL version used:
5.6.11-rc60.3 Percona Server (GPL)

RSA keys have been properly configured.

Relevant part of the HAproxy configuration:
backend testback_mysql
        balance roundrobin
        mode tcp
        option mysql-check user monitor
        server localmysql-1 127.0.0.1:3306 weight 100 maxconn 768 inter
5000 fall 3 rise 3 check

Nenad Merdanovic | PGP: 0x423edcb2 | Web: http://nimzo.info
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/nenadmerdanovic