On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Mindaugas Kavaliauskas wrote:
> We had a little similar situation a week ago. Accessing field gives
> runtime error "Variable does not exist", but my error log files
> indicated (I print values of all fields of current workarea into log),
> what field exists in workarea.
> The problem was corrupted .fpt file, but error message was misleading
> "Variable does not exist" instead of "corruption detected" or something
> like that.

Yes it's a problem with can happen when DBF file is corrupted
not MEMO one and application tries to access memo field.

> Clip53 gives EG_READ for this invalid record. I've attached .zip
> containing sample .dbf and test code.

And this message is also confusing because it reports error
in FPT file when the problem is in memo block address stored
in DBF file . It contains repl(" ",9)+chr(10) - Clipper decode
it as number without any validation and this as result it
receives some unexpected block number

I'll add valid RT error message ASAP.