We've got "The Donald" leading the show...No, not Rummy, the original "The
Donald"...Trump, that is...Talk about a playa with some bling bling!  We'll go big
picture with The Donald on the economy, Bush's tax cut, politics, Martha and who he
would vote for in a Hillary v. Rudy match up...Plus, much more!

In the B block we'll talk to Former NH Senator Warren Rudman on that new report out by
the Council of Foreign Relations that says we ain't prepared for another major
terrorist attack...

Nearly two years after the Sept. 11 attacks, the United States remains "dangerously
unprepared" to handle another catastrophic attack, according to a study by the Council
on Foreign Relations. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030630/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/homeland_security_5

In the D block debate we'll look at the vexing issue of North Korea, their advanced
nuclear ambitions and what we should do about it...

My buddy Hitchens will be here for that debate...

U.S. intelligence officials believe North Korea is developing technology that could
make nuclear warheads small enough to be placed atop the country's missiles, which
could put Tokyo -- and American troops based in Japan -- at risk, the New York Times
reported on Tuesday. (Reuters)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030701/ts_nm/arms_northkorea_dc_1

Plus, part two of Luntz's California focus group...Tonight he'll focus on Arnold
Schwarznegger and what his chances are out in the Golden State should Gov. Gray Davis
be recalled...Terry, gimme a call, I need you for the Buzz tonight!  I'll put you on
with Texas radio talk show host Jim Hightower http://jimhightower.com/

Terry's latest: A border incident
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/terencejeffrey/welcome.shtml

Now c'mon folks, what did you think of our segment with Ann Coulter?  Obviously Chris
is back from vacation and was on fire last night...If you saw it, hit reply and give
me your thoughts...This morning Richard Cohen, a reliably liberal voice in The
Washington Post, slams Ann...Cohen: Crackpot Conservatism
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24685-2003Jun23.html

Hardball airs on MSNBC at 7, 11 & 2 am Eastern time....

Btw, if you didn't read this great review for our colleague Keith Olberman in last
week's Sun Times click here:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/rosenthal/cst-ftr-phil26.html

NB: The 7 pm slot referred to in the piece is Central Time..

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Briefing from Washington, DC

Arnold Schwarzenegger refuses to terminate rumors of a run for governor while
promoting his latest movie, joking that: "You haven't seen special effects like this
since the California state budget." (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030627/ap_on_en_mo/schwarzenegger_5

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy says he won't support the gubernatorial ambitions of Arnold
Schwarzenegger (news), who's married to Maria Shriver, Kennedy's niece. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030629/ap_en_mo/people_schwarzenegger_4

California has a $38 billion budget deficit, a Legislature paralyzed by partisanship,
rising taxes and looming layoffs at schools and hospitals. It's a recipe for voter
frustration, and some California Republicans are pouncing on the chance to try to
reverse a long losing streak at the polls. (USA Today)
http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20030701/5287311s.htm

6 U.S. troops wounded in Iraq...Insurgents strike soldiers in Baghdad; Blast rocks
Fallujah mosque (MSNBC) http://msnbc.com/news/870749.asp?0cv=CA01

No Iraq 'Quagmire,' Rumsfeld Asserts...Secretary Disputes Vietnam Comparison (The
Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54599-2003Jun30.html?referrer=email

Online Fundraising Aids Dean Effort...After a final day of online fundraising that
netted over $500,000, former Vt. governor Howard Dean closed the second quarter of the
presidential fundraising year atop the Democratic field as the early money leaders
battled to keep up, the campaigns said Monday. (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54865-2003Jun30.html

President Bush and his GOP running mate netted $4 million in four stops for his
re-election campaign while Howard Dean racked up at least $802,000 in a daylong
Web-a-thon that put him firmly among Democratic money leaders as the second
fund-raising quarter ended. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&ncid=703&e=1&u=/ap/20030701/ap_on_el_pr/presidential_money

Tom Curry: How Dean uses power of the Web...Presidential contender mobilizes
volunteers, impresses political pros
with $7 million in funds http://www.msnbc.com/news/933274.asp

Barabek analysis: Dean's Momentum Stirs Opponents' Fears...The onetime outsider in the
Democratic race is raising money at an unexpected rate.
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-dems1jul01235624,1,826612.story

Mosque blast as U.S. troops attacked...U.S. soldiers were hurt in two separate attacks
in Baghdad on Tuesday and a massive explosion beside a mosque in the troubled town of
Fallujah reportedly killed several Iraqis.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/870749.asp

"U.S. OFFICIALS need to get our [expletive] out of here," said the 43-year-old
reservist from Pittsburgh, who arrived in Iraq with the 307th Military Police Company
on May 24. "I say that seriously. We have no business being here. We will not change
the culture they have in Iraq, in Baghdad. Baghdad is so corrupted. All we are here is
potential people to be killed and sitting ducks." (The Washington Post)
http://www.msnbc.com/news/933266.asp?0dm=N21AN

As the search for weapons of mass destruction continues with no major finds in Iraq
and U.S. troops continue to suffer deadly attacks, confidence in the war effort is
declining, a USA TODAY/ CNN/Gallup Poll shows.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-06-30-bottom-strip_x.htm

Seven in 10 people in a poll say the Bush administration implied that Iraq and its
leader Saddam Hussein were involved in the Sept. 11 attacks against the United States.
(AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=703&e=4&u=/ap/20030701/ap_on_re_us/iraq_poll

U.S. Clamps Down on Iraqi Resistance...U.S. forces detained 180 people Monday,
including an Iraqi colonel, in raids in and near Baghdad aimed at squelching
resistance activity, while troops in Najaf arrested the U.S.-appointed mayor, military
officials said. (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54681-2003Jun30.html?referrer=email

President Bush renewed his push for school-vouchers on Tuesday, backing legislation
that would give District of Columbia children private-school tuition grants and, Bush
hopes, spark new momentum nationwide for such programs. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=544&ncid=703&e=1&u=/ap/20030701/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush

Milbank: As 2004 Nears, Bush Pins Slump on Clinton...At Miami fundraiser, President
Bush says he "inherited" an economy already in recession.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54318-2003Jun30.html

With the start of his reelection campaign in the past two weeks, President Bush has
revived his pastime of blaming his predecessor, Bill Clinton, for the economic
recession.

Most Americans oppose marriage between same-sex couples, but a majority of young
adults think such unions should be recognized by the law, according to a USA
TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll released Monday.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-06-30-gaypoll-usat_x.htm

Strom's funeral: Ex-staffers, politicians converging to pay respects...Vice president
will fly in; dozens who worked for senator say nothing could keep them away (Columbia
State) http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/politics/6208222.htm

Dr. Ruth Westheimer says everyone knows she's a Democrat, but that didn't stop the
diminutive sex therapist from bringing a big dose of star power to President Bush's
fund-raiser Monday. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&ncid=703&e=5&u=/ap/20030701/ap_on_el_pr/bush_dr__ruth

Grim fairy tale...JFK Jr., wife locked in bitter war over drugs and affairs, book says
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/97160p-87954c.html

Opinion/Editorial

Pat's dropping it hardcore on this one: Why are we still here?
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33326

Moving up the D.C. ladder...Washington's status ladder has undergone an alarming
change. Where once members of Congress stood many rungs above lobbyists, today it is
the lobbyist who stands many rungs above the House member. By Tim Noah.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/933153.asp

Ingraham: It's time to take back the Constitution
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0703/ingraham.html

Joe's Real Deal...Free The Dog! A bounty hunter brings a serial rapist to justice in
Mexico. The Mexican government returns the favor by throwing the American hero in
jail. Meanwhile, the FBI, who couldn't track down the rapist itself, stands by and
does nothing while the American hero sits in a Mexican jail cell. It's Mexican
hypocrisy at its worst. http://www.msnbc.com/news/933497.asp

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

Mallard http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19
<http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19>