Folks, we've got so much Hardball special coverage today between the 9/11 Commission
hearings and the prime time Bush press conference that we'll be on most of the day and
night...In fact, we're on right now...We've been going since 8 am this morning and we
ain't stopping until Midnight...It'll be more Chris Matthews than you can shake a
stick at!  So pop the popcorn, break out the TV trays, order the Chinese and join the
fun!  We were joking this morning that we're gonna have to get Chris a port-a-potty on
set...

We're on during the 12:30-1:30p ET hearing break (or however long the lunch break
lasts)...7 to 8:30p ET for pre-Bush analysis...8:30p ET Bush presser of
course...Post-presser slice & dice until 10 or so...And of course a fresh 11p ET live
edition of Hardball...Plus, Chris will anchor the coverage throughout the afternoon as
the hearings proceed...We'll talk to reporters, 9/11 panel members & 9/11 widows and a
bunch of other cool expert-type folks TBD...It's a very fluid day as you might
imagine...

We'll also get the latest from Baghdad to get you up to date on the Iraq news you may
have missed during the hearings...

Btw, if you don't have a TV handy, we're on XM radio on channel 130...Keep it real,
for real

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Briefing from Washington, DC

FBI 'indictment' for 9/11 not fair, ex-chief says...Freeh first to testify, Reno
follows by noting FBI weaknesses (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4721976/

9/11 staff statement critical of FBI, Ashcroft...Document issued ahead of
law-enforcement hearing (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4730946/

Bush to talk Iraq, terrorism in prime time...President says intelligence services may
be due for reforms (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4723799/

"A lot has been happening in Iraq," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said
Tuesday in previewing what the president will say before taking questions at the 12th
news conference of his presidency. "The president wants to give the American people an
update on Iraq and talk about the way forward." (AP)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040413/D81U0C301.html

Poll: Terror, war are growing concerns...Economy had been higher priority in summer of
2003 (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4730683/

U.S. pushes toward showdown in Najaf...Radical cleric says ready to die in battle with
U.S. (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4667742/

A bomb attack on a U.S. convoy killed one American soldier early on Tuesday and
wounded another soldier as well as a civilian contractor, the U.S. army said.
(Reuters) http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=4811842

40 hostages held in Iraq...U.S. says it won't negotiate for their release (AP)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4684713/

Vice President Dick Cheney told Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi on Monday
that he was doing the right thing by resisting mounting political pressure and keeping
troops in Iraq despite shock over the kidnapping of three Japanese civilians.
(Reuters) http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=4802363

Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry says he is committed to building a stable
government in Iraq - even increasing U.S. troops if necessary - but he chided the Bush
administration for failing to gather the international support needed to make the
country more secure and gain the trust of the Iraqi people. (AP)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040413/D81TVLO01.html

President Bush wasn't the only one to get a memo in August 2001 about the threat of
Osama bin Laden striking on U.S. soil. Senior government policy-makers got a similar
document one day later, but theirs excluded most of the recent threat information the
president had received, officials say. (AP)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040413/D81TSS1O2.html

President Bush said on Monday that U.S. intelligence operations may need to be
reformed because of weaknesses that allowed the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to take place.
(Reuters) http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=4807370

Bush speeches becoming 'Clintonesque'...Once known for his brevity, president now
talks longer (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4709672/

Sen. McCain's wife hospitalized in stable condition after stroke, speech mildly
affected (AP)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/04/13/national1149EDT0593.DTL

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19
<http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19>