Hardball airs tonight on MSNBC at 7p, 11p & 4a ET & 4p, 8p & 1a PT  Find MSNBC on your
TV http://www.msnbc.com/CableOperator.asp

Today was the first court martial and sentencing in regards to the Abu Ghraib
controversy...Spc. Jeremy Sivits got the maximum penalty under law, one year in prison
for 3 counts of abusing prisoners...Three others are being arraigned today as
well...Campbell Brown brings us the latest from Baghdad...Plus the lawyer (Guy Womack)
for one of those accused, Spec. Charles Graner, Jr., and Neal Puckett, the attorney
for US Brigadier General Janis Karpinski who once ran Abu Ghraib, will be here to help
get to the bottom of this...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5005416/

We'll also talk to "Big Jim" Thompson, fmr. governor of Illinois and current member of
the 9/11 Commission about today's hearing in NYC with Guiliani, Ridge & Bloomberg
about the city's response to the terrorist attack...

Then we wrap it up with the son of "Big Russ" and moderator of Meet the Press, Tim
Russert, on his new book about his dad, "Big Russ"....We're also pre-taping a few
segment with Tim that will air tomorrow...It's a great "must see" segment where two
political media heavyweights discuss their upbringing...

Hobart & William Smith Colleges speech update: Chris Matthews Offers Five Bits of
Advice to Graduates...Plus HWSC Communications Director Susan Murad promises to give
us a heads up when the speech airs on C-Span
http://www.hws.edu/news/update/show.asp?id=15239

More Matthews News: The King and We: Henry V's War Cabinet...Mock Debate at
Shakespeare Theatre Has Familiar Ring (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34918-2004May17.html

Fresh Mortman Content: The sorry state of our leaders, celebs...National apologies are
just another cost of doing business http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5004508/

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Hardball Briefing from Washington, DC

U.S. attack said to kill scores at Iraq wedding...Celebrants reportedly were firing
weapons into the air (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5013551/

The situation in Iraq could become more violent after the June 30 handover leading up
to elections, which could require the deployment of more U.S. forces, the head of U.S.
Central Command said on Wednesday. (Reuters)
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/404283|top|05-19-2004::12:46|reutershtml

Soldier receives maximum sentence for Iraq prison abuse...Sivits jailed for 1 year,
reduced in rank, discharged for bad conduct (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5006372/

Commanders face scrutiny in Iraq prison abuse...Top generals vow investigation will
follow command chain (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5012911/

Report: U.S. tried to curb Red Cross inspections...Examinations impeded after early
report on prisoner abuse (Reuters) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5012416/

Two defendants accused of violence as civilians...Arraignments set in Abu Ghraib abuse
case (The Washington Post) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5007819/

No exit timeline for U.S. troops in Iraq...Wolfowitz says military underestimated
Saddam (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5004488/

U.S. troop levels for '05 unknown...Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz told
Congress yesterday the Pentagon does not know how many U.S. troops will be in Iraq a
year from now. (The Washington Times)
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040518-103935-8704r.htm

House leader scorns hearings...The House Armed Services Committee chairman yesterday
said the ongoing Senate hearings into prisoner abuse in Iraq are hurting the U.S.
military's ability to wage the war. (The Washington Times)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20040518-115641-6819r.htm

2 GOP Chairmen at Odds Over Hill Abuse Hearings...Rep. Hunter Worried About Absences
From Iraq (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37782-2004May18.html

Room for compromise on Rice?...The Sept. 11 commission meets Tuesday for the first
time since it heard dramatically conflicting testimony about the Bush administration's
stand on terrorism with the question of national security adviser Condoleezza Rice's
testimony still unresolved.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4623066/

Al-Qaida linked group says it killed Saleem...Statement on Internet is second claim of
responsibility (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5009693/

Kerry, Nader to meet Wednesday...Presidential candidates to discuss 'certain common
policies' (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5008072/

Fineman: How 1,300 jobs could cost Bush his own...In Midwest manufacturing towns,
electoral math is Stark http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5006885/

Democrats led by presidential candidate John Kerry faulted President Bush on Tuesday
for failing to tamp down gas prices as the political party out of power sought a
summertime issue to ignite the election campaign. (AP)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5004685/

Democratic Party Chairman Terry McAuliffe says the Bush administration is "in the
pocket of big oil" and isn't doing enough to hold down fast-rising gasoline prices.
(AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5004520/

Immigration is turning into an election battleground among Republicans, with several
challengers running primary campaigns against leading congressional supporters of
legalizing illegal aliens. (The Washington Times)
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20040518-115630-5554r.htm

Building a Better Biscuit: From the moment I first tasted homemade biscuits, decades
ago at a country restaurant, I set about trying to re-create that light and buttery
taste. I mixed and mixed and baked and mixed and baked, testing for about another
decade, until finally I pulled the ideal biscuits from my oven. (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35833-2004May18.html

Stir-Fried Chicken With Red Onion and Basil
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35844-2004May18.html

Opinion/Editorial

Rosett: Very U.N.-Attractive...A leaked audit gives hints of the Oil-for-Food
corruption http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/cRosett/?id=110005099

Schwammenthal: Michael's Manipulations...Moore of the same at Cannes.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110005098

Kaplan: Locked in Abu Ghraib...The prison scandal keeps getting worse for the Bush
administration. http://slate.msn.com/default.aspx?id=2100683

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19

http://privacy.msn.com