Hardball airs tonight on MSNBC at 7p, 11p & 4a ET & 4p, 8p & 1a PT  Find MSNBC on your
TV http://www.msnbc.com/CableOperator.asp

Tonight the Hardball juggernaut rolls on several fronts...We'll lead with the
troubling new FBI terror threat alert and get reaction and analysis from former CIA
spook Bob Baer (author of "See No Evil" and "Sleeping with the Devil")...The dude
knows his stuff...

Al-Qaida wants to 'hit the United States hard'...Ashcroft says terrorists '70 percent'
complete in planning for strike
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5061256/

Then we move on to the prison abuse scandal with the fmr. head of Abu Ghraib prison,
Brig. Gen. Janis L. Karpinski, and get a sense of where this story and her involvement
in it is headed....Chris will ask her specifically about civilian pressure from the
Pentagon on the need for more intell on the ground in Iraq...

Finally then we move on to my favorite part of the show: Shuster's package on the Gore
speech (Drudge's headline is "Gore Unhinged") and the latest Zogby battleground states
poll....We open that up to Briefing Subscriber John Fund, a man whose reportage and
political analysis is well known to you readers in our "opinion/editorial section",
and Steve McMahon, Dem strategist and fmr. Dean guy...

Al Gore issued a fiery denunciation Wednesday of Bush administration policy in Iraq
and demanded the resignation of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, CIA director George
Tenet and national security adviser Condoleezza Rice. (AP)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5068417/

And the Kerry campaign issued a press release today slamming BC04 spokesman Terry Holt
for something he said on Hardball last night...We'll role the clip and show you
Kerry's response...

Tomorrow Night: Two of politics biggest names: Bob Dole & Wesley Clark...

And dig this little sugar plum: By a 50 - 39 percent margin, voters would rather have
a backyard barbecue with Bush (Quinnipiac Poll) http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x11342.xml

>From the "You just never know what those rascally Briefing subscribers are up to" File

Briefing subscriber & friend Robert Cox gets a nice little plug from the Annenberg's
Online Journalism Review
http://www.thenationaldebate.com/blogger/archive/2004_05_01_TND-ARCHIVE.htm#108557832904004645

Speaking of Robert Cox, he broke the following story of an "indecent proposal" to
another Hardball Briefing subscriber, Ana Marie Cox (no relation) as reported by Page
Six today http://www.nypost.com/seven/05262004/gossip/24761.htm

Ana has not issued any official statement on the matter as of yet...

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Briefing from Washington, DC

Kerry rips 'photo op' homeland security...Dem says Bush should do more than issue
warnings (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5067950/

WP: Scientist likely to be Iraqi PM....Hussain Shahristani, a scientist who spent
years in Abu Ghraib prison for not participating in Saddam Hussein's nuclear program,
is the leading candidate to become prime minister in Iraq's new government, the
Washington Post reports.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5061182/

General is said to have urged use of dogs...Idea came from former Guantanamo Bay
commander, officer says (The Washington Post) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5063441/

Key lieutenant to Shiite cleric captured...2 Russian technicians die in ambush;
clashes kill 24 in Najaf (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5057770/

Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, visiting a swing state with rising
prices at the gasoline pump, is blaming President Bush's foreign policy for high
energy prices he says endanger national security. (AP)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040526/D82Q8K900.html

Locked in a tight race with John Kerry in Ohio, President Bush on Tuesday promoted his
administration's record on health care for the low-income and uninsured in a
Democratic stronghold. (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5060681/

John Kerry is expected to decide this week whether he will delay accepting the
Democratic presidential nomination, his timetable moved up under pressure from party
officials. (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5060521/

Both parties aim ads at Hispanics (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5059888/

N.Y. Times lists problems in war coverage...U.S. newspaper says Iraq reporting was not
rigorous enough (NY Times) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5066178/

Kurtz: More than a year after Judith Miller and some Times colleagues reported on
evidence suggesting that Iraq was hiding such weapons, the paper said in an editors'
note: "Editors at several levels who should have been challenging reporters and
pressing for more skepticism were perhaps too intent on rushing scoops into the
paper...." http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56265-2004May26.html

Correction: The New York Times on Iraq coverage
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/174927_nytednote26.html

Five days into the 1973 Arab-Israeli war, with the superpowers on the brink of
confrontation, President Nixon was too drunk to discuss the crisis with the British
prime minister, according to newly released transcripts of telephone calls. (AP)
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=Kissinger%20Tape%20Recordings

Mayor Daley scolded Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry Tuesday for making a
wisecrack about the bicycle accident that scraped the face, hands and knees of
President Bush. (Chicago Sun Times)
http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-daley26.html

Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson has apologized for remarks at a campaign rally in which he
compared a segment of the Republican Party to the Taliban. (AP)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/05/26/politics1456EDT0622.DTL&type=printable

Opinion/Editorial

Pat: Escalation vs. exit: The costs of both
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38660

Saletan: Magical History Tour...Bush can't learn from the past if he can't see it.
http://slate.msn.com/default.aspx?id=2101011

KausFiles on Kerry's nomination decision http://slate.msn.com/id/2101188/&#genius

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

Mallard Fillmore http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19

http://privacy.msn.com