Hardball airs tonight on MSNBC at 7p, 11p & 4a ET & 4p, 8p & 1a PT  Find MSNBC on your
TV http://www.msnbc.com/CableOperator.asp  MSNBC also is on your XM satellite radio on
channel 130

Due to a truncated production schedule at Hardball I'm compelled to make this one
short and sweet...It's Friday anyway, folks...

There's a big Senate Intelligence report coming out today on what we knew about Iraq
and the WMD intell...It's said to be a scathing critique of the CIA...The report
concerning what the White House did with the intelligence will not be released until
after November 2nd...You can figure that one out for yourself...Be that as it may,
we'll talk to the top honchos (Roberts & Rockefeller) on the Intelligence Committee,
find out what's inside and see what it means politically for all interested parties...

We'll follow that up with The Washington Post's Dana Priest whose been on this story
from the get go (down from day one as I like to say)...

In the last quarter hour of show we welcome the return of Briefing subscriber (and
Nation mag editor) Katrina vanden Heuvel along with NY Postie Deborah Orin who'll kick
around the political week that was...Our segment producer just pre-interviewed Deborah
and he says she's just back from covering the presidential campaign in Florida and "on
fire"...She was also at the big star studded "hate fest" (as BC04 is calling it) last
night at Radio City Music Hall...

Check it out: Whoopi Goldberg delivered an X-rated rant full of sexual innuendoes
against President Bush last night at a Radio City gala that raised $7.5 million for
the newly minted Democratic ticket of John Kerry and John Edwards. (NY Post)
http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/24791.htm

Stars bring $7.5 million to Kerry-Edwards ticket...Celebrity fund raiser boosts
democratic presidential campaign (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5402792/

Dig this little sugar plum which just landed in my Outlook inbox...

Bush/Cheney Release: "If John Kerry is going to praise last night's star-studded hate
fest, and characterize it as the 'heart and soul' of America, he should share these
values with voters everywhere.

"We call on Kerry to release the video of this event so that all Americans can see
what John Kerry has called America's 'heart and soul.'"

We''ll definitely get into that! I love that line "star studded hate fest"...Plus
Shuster's working up a piece on the "values" issue which is now being pushed by the
Kerry-Edwards camp which will reference the event...

Have a great weekend!

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Briefing from Washington, DC

U.S. soldier killed in Baghdad attack...Earlier, assault in Samarra killed 5
Americans, 1 Iraqi (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5322157/

U.S. Soldier Dies From Wounds Suffered in Attack in Iraq...Bulgaria, Philippines Say
They Won't Bow to Kidnappers' Demands
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A38293-2004Jul9?language=printer

Iraq insurgency larger than once thought...Anti-U.S. forces may be as large as 20,000,
U.S. officials say (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5398013

CIA to be cited for 'series of failures'...Senate report says agency got careless with
Iraq intelligence (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5395999/

President Bush has opened a slight lead over John Kerry while regaining the confidence
of some voters on the economy and other domestic issues, according to an Associated
Press poll with a silver lining for Democrats. (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5402574

Over and over, President Bush has proclaimed fierce loyalty to Dick Cheney as his
running mate for a second term but questions stubbornly linger about whether the vice
president will remain on the Republican ticket. (AP)
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/politics/9113946.htm

In place of gunfire, a rain of rocks...U.S. troops in Sadr City still face an angry
populace (The Washington Post) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5397906/

Mystery over U.S. Marine's reappearance...Hassoun to undergo debriefing in Germany;
probe under way (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5310187/

Curry: Key Democrats split with Kerry on Arctic oil...Three candidates are vital in
helping their party regain Senate http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5395869/

Senior al-Qaida leaders behind terror threat...Ridge: 'How high up it goes remains to
be seen' http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5394851/

Iraqi radio show to be broadcast from Berlin...Aided by German government, geared
toward younger generation (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5333240/

Musician David Bowie underwent an emergency angioplasty to open a blocked heart artery
in Germany and is recuperating, his spokesman said Friday. (AP)
http://www.salon.com/ent/wire/2004/07/09/bowie/index.html

Opinion/Editorial

Taranto: If You're Happy And You Know It, Run for Office...Americans like their
leaders optimistic. Will a cheery veep be enough?
http://www.opinionjournal.com/pl/?id=110005328

Landfield: The Federal Marriage Amendment "Constitutionalized Discrimination?"
http://www.practicalpolitics.net/landfield/7_8_04.html

Vs. Cirignano: Amend the Constitution Not the Family
http://www.practicalpolitics.net/cirignano/7_8_04.html

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19

http://privacy.msn.com