Hardball airs tonight on MSNBC at 7p, 11p & 4a ET & 4p, 8p & 1a PT  Find MSNBC on your
TV http://www.msnbc.com/CableOperator.asp  MSNBC also is on your XM satellite radio on
channel 130

Special programming note...Most of you can't wait for the coverage of this convention
to begin.  And certainly we can't either...That's why we're starting a day earlier on
Sunday night starting at 6 pm with a special Chris Jansing/Chris Matthews special on
the Battleground states, then at 7 pm we have a special edition of Hardball followed
by a Matthews/Tom Brokaw special "Picking our Presidents": Dig the press release
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5462855/

On to tonight...Chris is up in Boston doing the show live from our convention set in
Faneuil Hall...Yeah, the one Shuster was sitting at last night...

We lead with Mr. Boston himself Mike Barnicle...Not since James Michael Curley has
there been a more prominent Bostonian...He comes to us tonight from the famous Boston
political watering hole "Doyle's Cafe" in Jamaica Plain...Earlier this week Barnicle
sat down with another giant of Massachusetts, the Senate and the Liberal way of life,
Ted Kennedy...We'll roll excerpts from the interview...

We've also got the mayor of Boston Thomas Menino, Presidential Historian Doris Kearns
Goodwin (another local), veteran Boston journalist David Nyhan and political
consultant Ed Jesser...In short, we set the table tonight with some serious Bostonian
flavor on the eve of the Democratic National Convention...

It's all Boston all the time with the exception of Shuster who files a special report
titled something to the effect of "The Day After The 9/11 Report: What Has Changed"?
Very good question David

Oh and here's something we're really excited about!  Our new blog!  We're taking baby
steps here folks so we've only got a couple of postings but we'll be updating it as
the convention gets underway...I'll be posting much of the Briefing stuff online
during the convention...So set a bookmark...We'll have a lot of fun insider stuff from
our All-Star panelists and other cool folks! You can even send in e-mails and we might
post them..
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5452167/

Robert Cox over at thenationaldebate.com actually broke the story an hour or so ago
about the blog so we appreciate that very much...

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Briefing from Washington, DC

9/11 report slams intel failings...Despite calls from the Sept. 11 commission and
others to take immediate steps to tighten security and reform the nation's
intelligence apparatus,  quick action on the panel's recommendations is unlikely.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5485889/

National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice said Friday she agrees with the Sept. 11
commission's findings that the nation is safer nearly three years after the terrorist
attacks, but it is not yet safe. (AP)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040723/D840I5OG2.html

CIA-like counterterror center urged...Panel's recommendations could face tough going
(The Washington Post) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5491097/

Hardball: Hindsight on the 9/11 attacks...An in-depth examination reveals multiple
missed opportunities to delay or disrupt the tragedy.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5479799/

The 9/11 commission released a previously classified briefing to President Bill
Clinton - made in 1998 - about a threat from Osama bin Laden to hijack aircraft in the
United States. (NY Post) http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/27802.htm

NBC poll: Bush, Kerry tied...NBC-Wall Street Journal poll shows Bush-Cheney vs.
Kerry-Edwards presidential race is a virtual tie.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5490309/

Bush to address Urban League...President to outline agenda to African-American group
(AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5496640/

With one of the nation's most crime-ridden cities serving as a backdrop, Sen. John
Kerry yesterday ripped President Bush for allowing gang violence to skyrocket on his
watch. (NY Post) http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/27784.htm

The Republican National Committee has asked Bush-backing Roman Catholics to provide
copies of their parish directories to help register Catholics to vote in the November
election, a use of personal information not necessarily condoned by dioceses around
the country. (AP) http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040723/D840ALSO1.html

President Bush and Sen. John Kerry remain deadlocked in Florida, the biggest
battleground of the 2004 election, as the Democratic Party prepares to anoint Kerry as
its presidential candidate next week. (Orlando Sentinel)
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/elections/orl-asecpoll23072304jul23,0,3243599.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

'The president misled America'...Excerpts from USA TODAY's interview with John Kerry
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-07-22-kerry-qna_x.htm

U.S. 'precision strike' in Fallujah...American forces launched a "precision strike"
Friday on insurgents tied to Jordanian terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in the turbulent
western city of Fallujah, the U.S. military said. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5455104/

Headless corpse found in northern Iraq...Body may be 2nd Bulgarian; hostage crises
deepen (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5473325/

Inside The Ring: U.S. officials tell us that the FBI is focusing on a single document
in its investigation of former White House National Security Adviser Samuel R. Berger.
 http://www.washtimes.com/national/inring.htm

Opinion/Editorial

Crawford: Kerry Should Hold Nader Close, Not Push Him Away
http://www.cq.com/corp/show.do?page=crawford/crawford_current

Greeley: Leaders need dissenting voices
http://www.suntimes.com/output/greeley/cst-edt-greel23.html

Landfield: For An Embattled Governor McGreevey, Appearances Are Everything
http://www.practicalpolitics.net/landfield/7_21_04.html

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19

http://privacy.msn.com