Hardball airs tonight on MSNBC at 7p, 11p & 4a ET & 4p, 8p & 1a PT  Find MSNBC on your
TV http://www.msnbc.com/CableOperator.asp  MSNBC also is on your XM satellite radio on
channel 130

If you thought Thursday's show was hot, we've got the follow-up tonight so break out
the popcorn folks...Even Drudge said last night on the radio he was gonna break out
the popcorn for this one...We lead with legendary broadcaster Dick Cavett who hosted
the first debates between Kerry and anti-Kerry swift boat guy John O'Neill back in '71
(co-author of "Unfit for Command")...We'll also talk to Buchanan (or as Ali G says "my
main man Pat Boo-Cannon") about the Nixon White House's reaction to Kerry's anti-war
demonstrations back in the day...

While you chilled freestyle this weekend at the pool or the beach, a spate of hot new
political ads on the swift boats hit the airwaves...Shuster's got the lowdown

In the back half we talk to historians Douglas Brinkley, John Kerry's official
biographer and author of "Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War" and Stanley
Karnow, author of "Vietnam: A History"

We wrap things up with Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison on President Bush's big new
agenda that he will unveil next week at the RNC convention

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Hardball Briefing from Washington, DC

Bush calls for halt to Swift Boat vets' ads...'I think they're bad for the system,'
president says (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5797164/

Swift boat accounts incomplete and flawed...Both sides have withheld information, a
Post inquiry shows (The Washington Post) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5782981/

New Hostile Fire Incoming: Their shots may not be lethal, but a crew of angry vets
have hit Kerry's hull (Newsweek) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5783805/site/newsweek/

Kerry Unveils Ad Countering Attacks Over Vietnam...Nominee Accuses Bush of Smear
Tactics on Military Service (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A24891-2004Aug22?language=printer

Dole calls on Kerry to apologize...Ex-GOP senator says Kerry's wounds 'never bled that
I know of' (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5771731/

Bush huddles with military team...Iraq to dominate agenda as administration weighs
strategy (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5796738/

John Kerry's presidential campaign, which slighted Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton during
the Democratic convention last month, now wants the former first lady to lead its
"truth squad" at next week's GOP convention, The Post has learned. (NY Post)
http://nypost.com/commentary/29279.htm

U.S. tanks close in, Najaf rebels defiant...More clashes as apparent deal to hand over
shrine control falters (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5685031/

Soldier to plead guilty to some abuse charges...Frederick doesn't specify offenses,
but says he broke law (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5797994/

Opinion/Editorial

Buchanan: America's next war? http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=40100

Landfield Nothing Succeeds Like a Lack of Succession
http://www.practicalpolitics.net/landfield/8_22_04.html

Fund: Why We're Refighting Vietnam...Blame McCain-Feingold.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110005514

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19

http://privacy.msn.com