Hardball airs on MSNBC at 7p, 11p & 4a ET & 4p, 8p & 1a PT  Find MSNBC on your
TV http://www.msnbc.com/CableOperator.asp  MSNBC also is on your XM satellite
radio on channel 130

Quite an action packed show we've prepared for you this evening...We lead with
two top notch Senators, Dianne Feinstein from California and Trent Lott from
Mississippi, who'll handle the heat coming down on The Hammer these days...Dean
was out recently threatening to the use the Schiavo case against
Republicans...We'll have some fun with that...We'll also ask the Senators what
the likelihood is of the filibuster surviving in the Senate...I understand the
whip count on that one is tenuous...

Today the historic Conclave of Cardinals is meeting secretly in the Sistine
Chapel to select a new Pope...We've got Shuster and Chris Jansing covering it
and they'll give us an on-the-scene report...As you know once the Cardinals
have fished the day's voting, smoke billows from the Sistine chapel: white
smoke to signal that a new Pope has been chosen, black smoke to signify the
opposite.  This being the age of 24/7 news coverage we've got the official
Vatican smoke-cam in place...You can view it online here
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7367404/

We'll also get analysis from former NBC News correspondent John Palmer, who
covered the selection of John Paul II in 1978 and Democratic strategist Bob
Shrum, who is somewhat of a papal analyst and historian by hobby...We'll throw
Bill Donahue in for a few sparks...

Father Andrew Greeley, a Catholic theologian and writer will join us as well
with his take on the Conclave ("with key" as it directly translates)

Oh and did I mention we've got Salman Rushdie in the House as well?  Lots of
fun I promise..

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Hardball Briefing from
Washington, DC

Cardinals begin conclave for new pope...Cardinals urged to follow church
doctrines, not peoples 'desires' (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7523254/

Latest from Rome and beyond http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7516788/

Greeley: Italians continue to ignore rule of silence as rumors fly
http://www.suntimes.com/output/greeley/cst-nws-greeley18.html

Iraqi security forces, backed by U.S. military, swept into a town south of
Baghdad at dawn Monday but found no hostages despite reports that Sunni
militants had kidnapped as many as 100 Shiites there. (AP)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050418/D89HT2D81.html

Bolton often blocked information, officials say...Iran, IAEA matters were
allegedly kept from Rice, Powell (The Washington Post)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7538323/

Former Sen. Bob Dole yesterday joined the list of top Republicans urging
embattled House Majority Leader Tom DeLay to come clean on his ethics troubles.
(NY Daily News)
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/story/301081p-257759c.html

DeLay ducks ethics controversy in NRA speech...Embattled House leader thanks
gun-rights group for support http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7530389/

Livingston: Liberal Media Target Tom DeLay Because He's an Effective Leader
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7159

Donors still delivering for embattled DeLay...Despite ethics flap, House leader
has raised $438,000 in '05 (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7527935/

Dean: Schiavo case will be used against GOP...DNC chairman accuses Republicans
of 'grandstanding' http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7527925/

Bush, wife pay $207,000 in taxes...President donates $77,000 to churches,
charities http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7516723/

She is leading in the polls for her party's White House nod in 2008. Republican
Newt Gingrich ranks her as a formidable presidential candidate. Longtime
critics are amassing money and manpower to derail her political career. (AP)
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&u=/ap/20050418/ap_on_re_us/clinton_s_future&printer=1

With an assault weapon in each hand, rocker and gun rights advocate Ted Nugent
urged National Rifle Association members to be "hardcore, radical extremists
demanding the right to self defense." (AP)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050418/D89HG71G0.html

Opinion/Editorial

Nichols: The Papal Chase...Cardinals who might be Pope differ deeply on
economic justice issues.
http://www.thenation.com/thebeat/index.mhtml?bid=1&pid=2328

Buchanan: Riding the free trade raft over the falls
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43845

Novak: Hyde fights for overlooked Christians
http://www.suntimes.com/output/novak/cst-edt-novak18.html

Terry: Corporate Scandal Threatens National Security
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7138

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19

http://privacy.msn.com