Former President Gerald Ford "very strongly" disagreed with President Bush's
justifications for invading Iraq (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16372929/TBD).
This comes from a 2004 interview, embargoed until after his death.  In the same
interview, Ford was also critical of Vice President Cheney and then-Defense
Sec. Rumsfeld, both members of Ford's own administration.  Tonight, we'll
continue our coverage of the life and death of the 38th president with NBC's
Andrea Mitchell.  We'll also be joined by David Gergen, former presidential
adviser and US News & World Report editor-at-large, and Barry Werth, author of
"31 Days: The Crisis That Gave Us the Government We Have Today," about the span
of time between former President Nixon's resignation and the pardon that
followed.

Ford's state funeral is scheduled to begin tomorrow in California
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16364558/).  Go to www.politics.msnbc.com to read
more on this story and all of today's political headlines.

Later in the show, we'll hear from NBC's Richard Engel in Iraq.  Earlier today,
President Bush met with top military and diplomatic advisers at his ranch in
Texas, and said progress has been made in the search for new Iraq policy
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16379320/.)  NBC's Kelly O'Donnell is in Crawford
and she'll have a full report.

Also today, after much speculation, former Senator John Edwards (D-NC)
officially announced his plans to run for president in 2008
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16377918/).  John Harwood, CNBC chief Washington
correspondent and Wall Street Journal political editor, will join us from the
9th ward in New Orleans, where Edwards made his announcement this morning.
John McCaslin of the Washington Times and MSNBC Political Analyst Craig
Crawford also will be here to continue the '08 discussion.

Then, as we wind down 2006, Hardballers Ron Reagan and Karen Hanretty will be
here to talk about what lies ahead for the new Congress, Iraq, and an ending -
the impending execution of Saddam Hussein.  And, as the nation remembers former
President Ford, we'll look at the state funeral from a family's point of view
with Reagan.

Stay tuned to Hardball tomorrow when Chris will interview former Sen. and '08
presidential candidate John Edwards (D-NC).

Stories you may have missed today:
-- Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole (R) on Ford, "Profile in Decency":
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/27/AR2006122701387.html
-- AP: Ford preached pragmatism on Vietnam War:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16382411/
-- NY Times: GOP Senator in spotlight after critical Iraq speech:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/28/washington/28smith.html?ref=politics
-- Bloomberg's Margaret Carlson: Edwards frames return with message:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&refer=columnist_carlson&sid=aHB.Ilx8ysko

-- MSNBC's Political Calendar: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14708421/

Shelby Poduch and Colleen King compiled the Hardball Briefing in Washington,
D.C.