After more than two months of deliberations, the White House announced
President Bush will unveil his new plan for Iraq Wednesday at 9 PM EST
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16524693).  Here at MSNBC, the coverage begins
tonight on Hardball.  Bush is expected to announce an increase of up to 20,000
U.S. troops in his primetime address.  Meanwhile, Democratic leaders are
preparing for a fight.  Sunday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said the
Democratic-controlled Congress may block funding for a troop "surge": "Congress
is ready to use its constitutional authority of oversight to question what is
the justification for this spending, what are the results we are receiving"
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16514679/).  We'll get the latest tonight from
Hardball Correspondent David Shuster.  We'll also hear from Rep. Jack Murtha
(D-PA), chairman of the House Appropriation Defense subcommittee, on Bush and
Iraq, the new Democratic agenda, and his subcommittee's upcoming Iraq hearings,
slated to begin next week.

Go to www.politics.msnbc.com for more on this and all of today's political news.

Then, war-wary Iraqi's are using their cell phones and the Internet to warn
each other of violence - and to actually wage violence.  Hardball's Jeremy
Bronson will report on this hi-tech warfare in Iraq.

And we'll have more on what to expect from the President on Wednesday night
with MSNBC Political Analyst Pat Buchanan and Eugene Robinson from the
Washington Post.  How will Bush sell his plan, and how hard will the Dems
fight?  Plus, how will '08 factor into who sides with the President?  We'll
continue the discussion with the Hardballers:  MSNBC Political Analyst and
Newsweek's Howard Fineman and Lynn Sweet from the Chicago Sun-Times.  Read
Fineman's latest from Newsweek: Sidestepping the 'Surge':
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16501671/site/newsweek/ and Sweet's "The Scoop":
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/.

Stories you may have missed today:
-- Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) announces plans for '08:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11442718/
-- President Bush nominates Zalmay Khalilzad to replace John Bolton as U.N.
Ambassador: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16526407
-- LA Times: Troop surge in Iraq would have McCain in tow:
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-mccain8jan08,1,457730.story?coll=la-headlines-politics
-- Newsweek on Schwarzenegger plan to move up CA primary:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16498074/site/newsweek/
-- "The Fix" from washingtonpost.com's Chris Cillizza:
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/
-- MSNBC's Political Calendar: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14708421/
-- NBC's First Read: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/

Shelby Poduch and Tina Urbanski compiled the Hardball Briefing from Washington,
D.C.