Tonight, Hardball is live at 5 and 7 PM EST with the latest on the Virginia
Tech massacre that left 33 people, including the suspected gunman, dead.  The
president of Virginia Tech and Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine (D) will hold a press
conference this evening.  We'll bring that to you live when it happens.

Then, MSNBC's Tucker Carlson reports from Blacksburg.  He'll tell us what he's
hearing from students and their families. And later in the show, we'll talk to
one of those students, Amie Steele, editor of Virginia Tech's Collegiate Times.

Will a debate over gun control become one of the major issues of 2008?  Rep.
Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), lost her husband in the Long Island railroad shooting
in 1993.  She'll be here with Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA), and we'll have more on
the debate from Politico.com's Roger Simon and NBC Chief White House
Correspondent David Gregory.  We'll also have a report from Hardball's David
Shuster who has the latest details on the investigation of Cho Seung-Hui, who
has been identified as the shooter.

At 7 PM tonight in a special edition of Hardball, NBC's Brian Williams joins us
from the campus of Virginia Tech to talk about his interview today with
President and Mrs. Bush.  We'll have that interview for you.

And, NBC News announced today that MSNBC will telecast the first debates of the
2008 presidential campaign season.  "NBC Nightly News" Anchor and Managing
Editor Brian Williams will moderate the South Carolina Democratic Party's
debate on April 26th at South Carolina State University in Orangeburg.  Our own
Chris Matthews will moderate the GOP Presidential Candidates Debate from the
Ronald Reagan Presidential Library on May 3rd in partnership with politico.com.
 Read more here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18153983/

For the latest on all of today's political news, go to the best political
website www.politics.msnbc.com, powered by NBC News and the National Journal.
Don't forget to check out NBC's "First Read" http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/
and MSNBC.com's political calendar http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14708421/.

Tina Urbanski and Shelby Poduch compiled the "Hardball Briefing" from
Washington, D.C.