"What's wrong with American, and what will you do to change it?"

Is Barack Obama black enough?

And, hawk or dove: who's the real Hillary Clinton?

We'll debate those questions, and more, tonight on Hardball.

In an event that was part politics, part rally, and part triumph in overcoming
sweltering summer heat, MSNBC and an estimated 17,000 union workers took over
Chicago's Soldier Field Tuesday night at the AFL-CIO Presidential Candidates
Forum.  We'll get all the headlines from Hardball's David Shuster, and we'll
hear from working class hero Steve Skvara - the retired steel worker who asked
the question that had all of Soldier Field up on their feet and applauding.
Skvara joins Chris tonight to talk about who he thinks can improve life for
average Americans.

Illinois Sen. Barack Obama (D) was one of the contenders battling on stage last
night, but now he faces a different battle, this one on the politics of race.
Black journalists are gathering in Las Vegas this week for the National
Association of Black Journalists convention, and one forum at the event will
include a debate on whether Obama is black enough. Former presidential
candidate Rev. Jesse Jackson will be here to talk with us about that.

And this Saturday marks the first big test for the Republican candidates, the
Ames Straw Poll in Iowa.  With former NYC mayor and frontrunner Rudy Giuliani
and Sen. John McCain opting out of the contest, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt
Romney is heavily favored to win.  But, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee says
not so fast.  We'll hear from him tonight.

And we'll have more on the AFL-CIO Forum, the latest from the '08 campaign
trail, and all the day's hot politics with tonight's Hardball Panel: Amanda
Carpenter from Townhall.com, The New Republic's Michael Crowley, and Newsweek's
Holly Bailey.
For the latest on all of today's political news, go to the best political
website www.politics.msnbc.com powered by NBC News and the National Journal.
Don't forget to check out NBC's "First Read" http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/
and MSNBC.com's political calendar http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14708421/.

Shelby Poduch compiled the "Hardball Briefing" from Washington, D.C.