It's Straw Poll time in Iowa: Which '08 GOP contender will harvest in the
winning crop of votes?

Arizona Sen. John McCain opted out of the contest, and former NYC mayor Rudy
Giuliani called it a "shakedown," leaving former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney
- who's been spending the big bucks in Iowa - heavily favored to win.  But
Romney's not alone in the straw fields.  Tomorrow's event in the Hawkeye State
is being seen by many as a make-or-break moment for the other candidates hoping
to climb up in the rankings with a second place finish.  Kansas Sen. Sam
Brownback is counting on his heartland neighbors to deliver the votes for him
tomorrow.  We'll hear from him tonight on Hardball.

Plus, Chris will get everyone up to speed on all the day's hot politics,
including the headlines from Thursday night's first-of-its-kind presidential
forum on gay issues.  And later in the show, we'll really dig in to the
campaign stew with tonight's Hardball Panel: the Houston Chronicle's Julie
Mason, Business Week's Eamon Javers, and Deroy Murdock from the National
Review.

Then it's time for our TGIF Hardball Debate.  At the AFL-CIO forum earlier this
week, Sen. Hillary Clinton told the country that she's our girl, but which
candidate will win over the rest of the American girls?  Democratic consultant
Marjorie Fields Harris and former VA GOP chair Kate Obenshain will - in the
words of Chris Matthews - tell us what they really think.

And Erin Burnett, anchor of CNBC's "Street Signs" and "Squawk on the Street,"
will be here with the latest on the ups and downs in the stock market.

For the latest on all of today's political news, go to the best political
website www.politics.msnbc.com powered by NBC News and the National Journal.
Don't forget to check out NBC's "First Read" http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/
and MSNBC.com's political calendar http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14708421/.

Shelby Poduch compiled the "Hardball Briefing" from Washington, D.C.