Tonight at 7pm ET, the judge in O.J. Simpson's preliminary hearing will rule on
the charges of kidnapping and robbery against him. "Hardball" will be there
every step of the way with a live edition of the show at 7pm and reporting from
NBC's Savannah Guthrie on the ground in Las Vegas. We'll also have a team of
legal analysts on hand to review the judge's decision. Be sure to tune in.

First up on the 5pm show: Gov. Eliot Spitzer (D-NY) has backed off a
controversial plan to offer driver's licenses to New York's illegal immigrants.
Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) came out today with a statement reversing her
earlier support of the proposal, but with a new poll showing that illegal
immigration is a top issue in Iowa and New Hampshire, will primary voters turn
up the heat on Clinton and the other '08 candidates? We'll talk to Rep. Pete
King (R-NY) and the New York Post's Fred Dicker.

Other states including California have introduced similar legislation. Does
giving licenses and identification to illegal immigrants make America more or
less safe? That's our Hardball Debate tonight with MSNBC's Pat Buchanan and Air
America's Rachel Maddow.

Then, '08 contender Rudy Giuliani (R) has unveiled his first ad of the
political season touting his record as New York City mayor. But a new lawsuit
by publisher Judith Regan against her former employer Newscorp alleges that she
was pressured to withhold information about Giuliani's business partner,
Bernard Kerik, which could imperil Giuliani's presidential bid. Hardball's
David Shuster will report on the reaction from the campaign and then we'll hear
from Dominic Carter, senior political reporter for "New York One."

We'll discuss these stories and their effect on the fast-approaching primaries
in our roundtable discussion with New York Times columnist Bob Herbert, the
Weekly Standard's Matt Continetti and Salon's Joan Walsh.

For the latest on all of today's political news, go to the best political
website www.politics.msnbc.com, powered by NBC News and the National Journal.
And, don't forget to check out NBC's "First Read" and MSNBC.com's political
calendar.

Vidhya Murugesan compiled the "Hardball Briefing" from Washington, D.C.