Tonight: it's the final meeting!

All eyes are on Sens. McCain and Obama today as they gear up for their last
presidential debate of the election season. As always, Hardball is live from
the debate site at Hofstra University, NY with all of the action. It's a big
night for politics so don't miss it!

First up at 5pm, new polls show Obama with a commanding lead nationally and in
key battlegrounds. Does McCain need a game changer? Tonight's debate focuses on
economy and domestic issues - will this be an advantage for Obama? Tune in as
we talk to Newsweek's Howard Fineman and Politico's Roger Simon about what's at
stake.

For more on the new NYT-CBS poll:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/15/us/politics/15poll.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

And for the latest campaign news:
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/10/15/1545862.aspx

Plus, what are the campaigns planning for tonight? We'll bring in Obama
campaign manager David Axelrod and McCain political director Mike DuHaime for a
behind-the-scenes look.

And during a special live 7pm edition - we'll preview the debate. Will McCain
go on the attack and risk alienating voters more concerned about the economy?
Will it get nasty tonight or will both candidates maintain their composure? NBC
News political director Chuck Todd, the New York Times Jeff Zeleny and the
Chicago Tribune's Jill Zuckman will all be on hand to break it down for you.

For more on McCain's strategy tonight:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14587.html

Next - a special Hardball Strategy session - what does McCain need to do to
rebound from the recent downturn in the polls? Does Obama just need to hold
serve? We'll ask Democratic strategist Steve McMahon and Republican strategist
Todd Harris for their takes.

Don't miss the N.Y. Daily News's Tom DeFrank column:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2008/10/15/2008-10-15_its_do_or_die_for_mccain_in_last_debate_.html

And the latest from the N.Y. Times's Maureen Dowd:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/15/opinion/15dowd.html

We'll also ask McCain supporter fmr. Gov. Mitt Romney (R-MA) and Obama
supporter Gov. David Patterson (D-NY) what they think about the state of the
race.

The third and final Presidential candidates debate starts tonight at 9 p.m. and
will be followed by specials from David Gregory, Keith Olbermann, Chris
Matthews, and Rachel Maddow

Stay tuned for a special midnight edition of Hardball and the rest of MSNBC's
nightlong coverage of the 2008 vice presidential debate. It's only on MSNBC -
the place for politics!

For all the latest on all of today's political news, go to the best political
website www.politics.msnbc.com powered by NBC News and the National Journal.
And don't forget to check out NBC's "First Read" and MSNBC.com's political
calendar.