Leading off tonight: it's day 56.

It has now been eight weeks since the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded in the
Gulf, and President Obama's reputation for handling a crisis has become
collateral damage. He needs to demonstrate command and control. The President
is in the Gulf region today and tomorrow, and is expected to make a speech to
the nation tomorrow night. A much anticipated meeting with BP CEO Tony Hayward
is scheduled for Wednesday. We'll go to NBC News Chief White House
Correspondent and Political Director Chuck Todd and former President and CEO of
Shell Oil John Hoffmeister for the latest on the political and environmental
damage caused by the spill.

The one good thing that might come out of this tragedy is that Americans might
finally admit that it's time to wean ourselves off our addiction to oil. But
not everyone agrees. Former Senators Trent Lott (R-MS) and John Breaux (D-LA)
will be joining us for a discussion on the future of offshore drilling in the
Gulf.

Plus, the forgotten war: Afghanistan. NBC's Richard Engel was with American
troops when they came under fire this weekend and filed an unforgettable
report. War correspondent and author of the book "War", Sebastian Junger will
be help us understand these scenes from the battle.

Also, Roger Simon of Politico and Newsweek will be on set to talk about his
recent interview with President Obama. MSNBC Political Analyst Howard Fineman
will be joining in the discussion.

Finally, a candid camera moment. We'll show you what happened when a couple of
students working for a right-wing website ambushed a Democratic Congressman.
Don't miss the Sideshow.