What about extending MailMan in new directions?   One of the things
that worked well for MailMan, I think, was the way that it maintained
state information about the message - who had read what, who had
forwarded or terminated.  I was thinking about generalizing the
capability so that the message thread is enclosed in an _envelope_
which may or may not live in an IN basket.  This object would then be
a container for information flows beyond just message threads - for
example workflows, clinical protocols, pending events, etc.  This
envelope would have its own access moderator, controlling who could
see what inside.

The envelope could be attached to another object as a "sticky note" so
that someone could annotate a dark spot on an xray, for example, then
trigger a chain of discussion and interaction, all of which would be
visible as a thread.

just some musings...

tom