From: "Bhaskar, KS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [Hardhats-members] Xdialog, dialog, m2web

> John --
>
> Something is really screwed up with e-mail.  I received your e-mail
> after the responses in the thread it initiated!  Comments below.

[jlz]  that may be partly my doing. I initially used my local ISP but I'm not
a member at that address so it required approval... which came through some
hours after I had repeated myself from this webmail address. . . but something
seems to be dropping some of your mail lately.  Maybe you have a full mailbox
or some sort of storage problem?

> I'm aiming toward Boston and I'm attempting to fancy up Bhaskar's
> install/run script. My ultimate goal is to include the installation
> of m2web into the scripts:
>
> [KSB] Actually, you can integrate M2web without touching the
> /usr/local/OpenVistA/vista script.  Assuming that you have the
> database installed in (for example)
>  /mnt/hda4/myVistA/OpenVistA/g/mumps.dat, then just put the routines
> for M2Web in /mnt/hda4/myVistA/OpenVistA/r/.  The object files will
> automatically get compiled into /mnt/hda4/myVistA/OpenVistA/o/.

[jlz] I'm thinking....

> 1b.) ?? How do I add wa test for the <<absence>> of Xdialog itself??
>
> [KSB] Try something like:
>
> export DIALOG=${DIALOG:=`which Xdialog`} ; if [[ -z $DIALOG ]] ;
> then export DIALOG=`which dialog` ; fi
>
> and in your script use $DIALOG as the program to use.  Now that I
> think about it, a construct like the following might be even better:
>
> if [[ -z $DISPLAY ]] ; then export DIALOG=`which dialog` ; else ...
> ; fi

[jlz] OK, Thanks. That's what I needed. This works to test for both X and
Xdialog.

######
if [[ -z $DISPLAY ]] ; then dialog --infobox "X not running" 0 0 ;
     $vista_source/dvista ; exit 1
  fi
export XDIALOG=`which Xdialog`
if [[ -z $XDIALOG ]] ; then dialog --msgbox "Xdialog not installed" 0 0 ;
     $vista_source/dvista ; exit 1
  fi
######

> [KSB] I don't know about the environment variables that M2Web uses,
>  but I would hazard a guess that if you are using M2Web, then the
> /usr/local/OpenVistA/vista script is superfluous.

[jlz] OK, That clarifies my thinking... I hope. I was fearful of a conflict
between VistA running under a local user logged into FileMan and M2Web hitting
the same database from outside.  But the environental variables that each
chooses to employ have no crosstalk with each other. They just need to work
within their respective environs as they hit the common VistA database.

Understanding... now for something that <<Works>>. One small step for mankind,
one giant leap.... etc.

> regards,
> jlz   .... better grandfather than programmer.
>
> [KSB] Yes, but better physician than programmer, I'm sure!

  [jlz] Of late I have been impressed with the need to get our programs right.
I think the VistA community appreciates that software development can also be
a matter of life-and-death importance.