Most likely, a DVD connected via a USB port will show up as a SCSI
device, with a name like /dev/sda or /dev/sdb.  However, to burn a
CD/DVD, you don't mount it (there is no file system to mount on a blank
disk).

Generally, if you power up the USB drive first, then boot the PC, k3b
will find and recognize the drive.  Also, as root, you can execute
"cdrecord --scanbus" to find the "SCSI" drive number for your CD drive.

Mark and/or Crawford may want to correct me here, or expand on the
explanation, because my understanding of how USB is mapped to SCSI, and
how CD/DVD-ROM drives are handled on Linunx is shallow.

-- Bhaskar