From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
steven mcphelan
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:26 AM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] BIG NEWS re HealtheVet- St. Petersburg
Tim es

Very well stated.

Nancy had also responded to this thread.  She said "...It is the attempt
move VistA from Cache M based on to an Oracle like database..."  Let's
agree
with the VA on the use of terms.  They claim that the rehosting is not
exclusive to Oracle.  Rob's term is "relational database".  I had asked
the
specific question as to what did he mean by relational, SQL compliant?
He
said yes.  The fact that the VA is standardizing some of its enterprise
wise
solutions to the Oracle platform is strictly a business decision that
they
have made given their particular circumstances.  So to constantly state
that
the VA is moving from M to Oracle can be perceived as prejudicial and
inaccurate.  Can we all agree to stop using terms like "Oracle like
database" to a more correct analogy which would be something like "SQL
compliant database".  Many people seeing the term Oracle may have an
initial
negative reaction because of the perceived costs involved.  I am taking
Rob's word as accurate and that the rehosted solution will run on any
SQL
database and not specifically on Oracle.  However, I will believe when I
see
it.  But the VA will have the proof in the pudding is some respects.
The
VA's HDR project will have the grand-daddy of all medical record
databases
residing in Austin in an Oracle database.  But they will also have
regional
HDRs.  Intersystems has already been awarded that contract to provide
the
relational database engine for the regional HDRs.